Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image

Bai Tian Gong celebration

  • Wednesday, February 1, 2012
  • Andrew
  • Labels:
  • DSC_9045 

    As they say, Bai Tian Gong is a big celebration for the Hokkiens. I'm Teochew but still, I celebrate it with my in-laws. Alot of preparations were done prior to the actual day.

    DSC_9051

    It is the birthday of  Tian Gong (in Mandarin) or Jade Emperor. It is an important day for Hokkien Taoist (fujien). My wife told explained to me previously that on the 8th day of Chinese New Year, prayers would start from 11pm and will last till the wee hours of the next day(well, approximately 2am for this year at my wife's place). It is a night of grand offerings to Tian Gong; roast pork, steamed chicken, and red eggs, and traditional huat kueh(plain rice cake), a pair of sugarcane, red candles, joss sticks and folded joss paper.

    DSC_9084

    I'm sure you've seen people buying sugarcane lately didn't you? The story which I've been told is that the Hokkiens were attacked and they hid themselves in a sugarcane field. As they lived through the ordeal, they prayed to Tian Gong with sugarcanes offerings to remind themselves on how their lives were saved.

    Anyway, below are some of the pictures I took. Enjoy!

    DSC_9054

    DSC_9055

    DSC_9056

    DSC_9062

    DSC_9092

    DSC_9057

    DSC_9059

    DSC_9060

    DSC_9066

    DSC_9068

    DSC_9099

    2 Comments:

    WA Car said...

    good photography blog.....

    4WD Ute Hire said...

    WONDERFUL PHOTOGRAPHY REALLY I ENJOY THE PHOTOGRAPHY THANKS BLOG...................

    Post a Comment